Waynesboro Downtown Historic District consists of the historic core of the city of Waynesboro. Platted in 1798, the downtown developed into a place of businesses and residences over the course of the 19th century. The district’s earliest surviving building is the circa 1806 Casper Coiner House; however, most of the buildings in the district are commercial buildings dating from the late-19th and early-20th centuries. Following a development boom around 1890, the downtown expanded, and by the mid-20th century, stores, banks, hotels, and other buildings crowded along Main Street and Wayne Avenue, the town’s principal thoroughfares. A number of architecturally significant buildings are landmarks in the district including the 1908-09 Classical Revival-style First National Bank, the 1929 Art Deco LB & B Building, and the 1937-38 Colonial Revival General Wayne Hotel. Containing 60 buildings, the Waynesboro Downtown Historic District retains its status as the commercial heart of the city.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark