The Dr. William H. Pitts House in Washington County is a two-story dwelling built in 1854 in the popular Greek Revival style, and that figures prominently in the historic Abingdon East Main streetscape. The Pitts House features a symmetrical five-bay façade with a recessed entrance and a single-pile plan with a central passage flanked by parlors on the first floor and bedrooms on the second floor. The walls are of stucco-covered masonry set on a limestone ashlar foundation. Stepped parapets on each gable end with cast-stone ornamentation along the upper edges and a wide cornice with sawn-work brackets adorn the roof. The house was constructed on speculation by Adam Hickman, a prominent local builder of numerous structures in Abingdon during the mid-19th century. Hickman subsequently sold the property to Dr. Pitts, a Civil War surgeon, in 1859.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark