142-0007

Blackstone Historic District

VLR Listing Date

02/20/1990

NRHP Listing Date

01/25/1991

NRHP Reference Number

90002174

A full range of small-town-American building is present in the historic commercial and residential quarters of the Southside community of Blackstone. The Nottoway County town grew up around Schwartz Tavern, a late-18th-century landmark. Concentrated building in Blackstone did not occur until after 1881 with the formation of the Norfolk and Western Railway system, making the community poised for development as a shipping point. The town, formerly Black’s and White’s, was incorporated with its new name, Blackstone, in 1888 and became a leading tobacco market. The commercial area preserves a rich display of early 1900s facades, many faced with decorative sheet metal. The large residential neighborhood south and west of the commercial area was developed after 1900 by the Blackstone Land and Improvement Co., and contains a broad range of Queen Anne and Colonial Revival dwellings, along with four churches and the 1922 Georgian Revival former Blackstone College for Girls.

Last Updated: June 2, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form

203-0048

Crewe Commercial Historic District

Nottoway (County)

067-5058

WSVS Radio Station and Transmitter

Nottoway (County)

067-0040

Hyde Park

Nottoway (County)