Ninety-nine feet in length, this rambling, historic tavern, erected in three sections, is Blackstone’s oldest building, and is located in its listed historic district. The construction dates of each section of the Schwartz Tavern are uncertain, but the Nottoway County property on which the tavern stands was deeded to John Schwartz in 1790. Schwartz was granted a license to operate an ordinary here in 1789. Tradition has it that the town derives its name from his last name, which is German for “black.” Although it stood in neglected condition for many years, the tavern preserves a remarkable amount of early fabric including beaded weatherboards, original window sashes, and Federal mantels. In 1977 the Anderson family donated the tavern and its large lot to the community. The building subsequently underwent a thorough restoration under the sponsorship of the Schwartz Tavern Authority. This venerable landmark went on to serve the community of Blackstone as a museum and a venue for special events.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark