Longwood House, a Farmville area landmark, illustrates the evolution of a simple Federal-style farmhouse into one of Prince Edward County’s finest antebellum mansions. The massive wood-frame structure began as a compact dwelling built for Nathaniel E. Venable in 1815, soon after a fire destroyed an earlier house. Following his rise to prominence as a state delegate and senator, Venable had his residence enlarged and refashioned in the Greek Revival style. The house has survived without significant alterations to date, retaining its early porch, siding, and interior woodwork. Since 1929, when the property was acquired by the State Teachers College at Farmville as a rural student retreat, Longwood House has become the identifying symbol of the college community, giving its name to the institution in 1949. It now serves the official home of the president of Longwood University.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark