For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 06/17/1987
NRHP Listing Date 11/03/1987
NRHP Reference Number 87001881
Berryville began as a colonial crossroads settlement known as Battletown. It expanded in the early 1800s following the construction of turnpikes linking Berryville to trade between Winchester and Alexandria. The town became the county seat when Clarke County was formed from Frederick in 1836. The arrival of the Shenandoah Valley Railroad in 1879 secured Berryville’s role as a processing and shipping center for the lower Shenandoah Valley. Preserved in the district is a fine range of commercial, residential, governmental, religious, and industrial buildings associated with nearly all periods in the town’s development. These structures, particularly the tidy old houses lining its tree-shaded residential streets, preserve a classic American small-town image. Principal landmarks are the 1836 courthouse and the 1857 Italianate Grace Episcopal Church. The 1810 Sarah Stribling house, long the Battletown Inn, and the adjacent Jonathan Smith house, are conspicuous buildings of the Federal period (pictured above).
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: May 11, 2021