William H. Vincent constructed the Vincent House in 1889 as the first dwelling on Main Street in the newly formed Southampton County town of Capron. The same family, influencing the development of the community, occupied the large two-story residence for three generations until 2001. Built in the Queen Anne style, including a wraparound porch with turned columns, balusters, spindle bands, and gingerbread, the house evolved with later additions and the removal of the balusters, much of the gingerbread, and turned porch columns (replaced with classical Doric columns about 1909). Vincent brought industry to the area and by partnering with G. W. Truitt began the Vincent-Truitt Lumber Company in 1889. His grandson, state senator William Vincent Rawlings, began heading the precursor to the Virginia Peanut Farmers Association, Inc., in 1950. He converted a garage on the property to a two-room office for use as the association’s headquarters, which it remains.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia