Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

204-5053 Pitts Theatre

Pitts Theatre
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 03/20/2008

NRHP Listing Date 05/15/2008

NPS property number 08000420

Designed by architect Nicholas Roney, the Pitts Theatre in the town of Culpeper was built in 1937-38 as part of the chain of 38 theaters founded by Benjamin T. Pitts of Fredericksburg, a state senator from 1944 through 1958. The theater is the only Art Deco structure surviving in Culpeper, a common style for theaters of the period. It expanded the commercial corridor along South Main Street and increased residents’ available entertainment venues in the late 1930s. Its construction also reveals the era of segregation, indicated by its separate facilities, and entrance and exit hallways for whites and blacks as well as a balcony for African American viewers. Part of the Pitts chain until 1970, the theater was then sold, renamed the State Theatre, operating until 1992. The theater underwent a tax credit rehabilitation to restore and reopen it around the time of its listing in the registers.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated February 19, 2019