Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

204-5067 Lord Culpeper Hotel

Lord Culpeper Hotel
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 03/16/2017

NRHP Listing Date 06/12/2017

NPS property number SG100001078

Opened to local acclaim in 1933, the Lord Culpeper Hotel in the Town of Culpeper (Culpeper County) is a stylish Colonial Revival building. The hotel opened when the business- and tourism-dependent hotel industry began rebounding from the Great Depression with a cautious optimism at the prospect of newly-elected President Roosevelt’s New Deal and the likelihood of Prohibition’s repeal. Unlike Culpeper’s earlier hotels, which catered to rail travelers, the Lord Culpeper appealed to motorists. A project of local business leader Charles Henry Hitt, whose contracting firm likely constructed the building, the hotel was managed and later owned by E. Jackson Eggborn Jr., a onetime Culpeper mayor. The Lord Culpeper Hotel is locally important as a Culpeper hostelry and Depression-era business initiative, and it illustrates the popularity of Colonial Revival hotels built throughout small-town Virginia during the 1920s. In 1939, a two-story rear addition enlarged the original thirty-room three-story building.

 


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated October 9, 2018