A rare survivor of the passenger train era in Virginia’s southwestern region, Dungannon Depot was constructed circa 1910 in Scott County on the Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway line. After passenger trains stopped serving the area in 1955, the building stood vacant. In order to save, preserve, and reuse it, in 1978 the depot was relocated a quarter mile from its original site to the Town of Dungannon. There it has been carefully maintained, serving at the town hall for Dungannon. The Dungannon Depot’s architecture and craftsmanship surpasses many of the extant railroad stations along the C.C. & O., which ran from Kentucky to South Carolina.
[VLR Listed Only]
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark