The Gate City Historic District in the Scott County seat is a five-block area that emerged as a vital commercial hub for the surrounding countryside beginning in the 19th century. While settlement in the area began in the second half of the 18th century, the town was laid out in 1815 on the Wilderness Road and later became Gate City, so-named for its gateway-to-the west location. The town experienced rapid growth at the beginning of the 20th century. The Gate City Historic District includes the Scott County Courthouse, built in 1829, as well as commercial buildings that illustrate a range of commercial architectural styles popular between 1900 and 1960.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark