For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 09/12/2001
NRHP Listing Date 04/01/2002
NRHP Reference Number 02000321
James Brown’s Dry Goods Store was built by William U. Nottingham to serve as a general merchandise outlet for the Eastville community. A ten-foot-deep porch shelters the original wooden storefront with three bays and recessed double doors. Store space dominates the first floor of the 1880 building, which retains its original random-width pine floors, tongue-and-groove paneled walls, and one original service counter. The floor safe rests in the same location as it has for more than 100 years. James A. Brown acquired the store in the fall 1931 and is well remembered for his huge, arched candy cabinet on the left side of the store. Brown stocked a wide variety of goods in his store, ranging from ready-made ladies’ dresses and the materials to make them to bedsheets and dishes. The building contributes to the Eastville Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: June 3, 2022