The bracketed and weatherboarded Victorian Hopkins and Brother Store building on the waterfront of the Accomack County town of Onancock housed a business founded in 1842 by Capt. Stephen Hopkins. Selling general goods, the business remained in the hands of the Hopkins family until 1965. Although the building has been moved a short distance, it retains the relation to the waterfront it enjoyed when the store was a commercial and maritime trading center for the town as well as the Eastern Shore’s bayside. The interior has most of its 19th-century fittings and illustrates the maritime mercantilism of a small Chesapeake region town. Detailed records of the establishment are preserved at the Virginia Museum of History and Culture. The Hopkins and Brother Store, which contributes to the Onancock Historic District, was deeded by the Hopkins family to the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (now Preservation Virginia), and it was repurposed for use as a restaurant.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark