Snugly situated on Onancock Creek, four miles inland from the Chesapeake Bay, Onancock was founded in 1680 and was Accomack’s first county seat. It has remained a thriving port for Virginia’s Eastern Shore since the late 17th century. The town was laid out in an irregular grid of fifty acres. Gradually expanded, at the turn of the 20th century, Onancock had a population of about 1,700 and retained a slow-pace, small-town ambience. The historic district contains a rich variety of architectural styles spanning some 200 years. The buildings range from waterfront vernacular structures to the high-style Federal mansion Kerr Place. The five frame 19th-century churches, including the Methodist church (pictured), line Market Street and proclaim the long-standing importance of worship here. The commercial area of the Onancock Historic District is characterized by a medley of small-town mercantile buildings, most of which were constructed after a 1900 fire. Roomy frame houses with front porches are spread along the residential streets.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark