Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

275-0001 Ballard-Marshall House

Ballard-Marshall House
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 06/21/1988

NRHP Listing Date 10/27/1988

NPS property number 88002138

Lending a sense of continuity and place to the town of Orange, the Garland-Ballard house demonstrates the pervasiveness of the Classical Revival tradition in the Virginia Piedmont. Distinguished by its pedimented roof, Classical trim, and systematic proportions, the house was built in 1832 for Garland Ballard, a local merchant. The builders are not known, but the use of finely crafted Flemish bond and informed detailing suggests a connection with local projects constructed by craftsmen formerly employed by Thomas Jefferson. During the mid-19th century the house was owned by the locally prominent Taylor family. In 1882 it became the home of Fielding Lewis Marshall, the local superintendent of public education and grandson of Chief Justice John Marshall. The property remained in Marshall family ownership until 1962. Rescued from a state of neglect in 1986, the house has been rehabilitated for apartments.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018