For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 09/18/1979
NRHP Listing Date 12/28/1979
NRHP Reference Number 79003062
The Orange County Courthouse marks a radical departure from the traditional classical-style Virginia courthouse, illustrating public acceptance of exotic taste in late antebellum times. Designed by Charles Haskins of the Washington firm of Haskins and Alexander, and erected in 1858-59, the building has all of the major characteristics of the Italian Villa style: deep-bracketed cornices, shallow-hipped roofs, and a square tower. The work is Orange County’s fourth court structure built specifically as such. It replaced an existing courthouse that was taken down as the result of railroad construction. The arcaded openings on the first floor were filled in ca. 1948. The courthouse, located in the Orange Commercial Historic District, is complemented by its clerk’s office and jail.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: April 29, 2021