For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 03/17/2004
NRHP Listing Date 05/27/2004
NRHP Reference Number 04000548
The William Rand Tavern is a rare example of colonial-era tavern construction and among the few remaining taverns located near a colonial courthouse. Opened as a tavern in 1759 and still in use today, the five-bay, two-story building was constructed about 1752 and was the earliest tavern in the Isle of Wight County town of Smithfield. The foundation and first story are parged brick and the second story is frame clad in weatherboard. The roof is hipped and clad in standing-seam metal with parged brick chimneys at the building ends. The interior plan of the William Rand Tavern is single-pile, single-loaded corridor with a perpendicular addition to the rear. The rooms flanking the hall have simple mantels flanked by windows. Constructed in 1922–1923, the rear addition is oriented perpendicular to the original 1752 building. The tavern’s original mantels, windows in the formal parlor, and first-story room configuration have all been retained.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: August 2, 2021