For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 12/11/1991
NRHP Listing Date 08/18/1992
NRHP Reference Number 92001033
Chartered in 1758, what is today Stephens City is the second-oldest town in Frederick County. Originally called Stephensburg, it was named Newtown-Stephensburg in 1879 and renamed Stephens City in 1887. The town grew up along a major crossroads on the Valley Pike and became known for its wagon-making trade. The nationally known Newtown wagon was manufactured here. The Newtown-Stephensburg Historic District’s buildings are chronologically and stylistically diversified. 18th-century log structures stand among buildings echoing 19th-century revival styles. Typical of small Valley towns, most dwellings here are simple vernacular types which set off a scattering of more high-style works. The historic character is reinforced by a lack of significant construction during the past sixty years. During the Civil War constant troop movements caused the town to change hands many times, six times in one day alone, but with minimal destruction.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: March 10, 2022