The town of Stuart, originally known as Taylorsville, became the seat of Patrick County when it was formed in 1791. With the county courthouse as its center, the Stuart Uptown Historic District encompasses the core of the county seat and includes government, financial, religious, and commercial buildings dating from the mid-19th- to the mid-20th-centuries. The town experienced rapid growth in the early 1880s following the construction of a new Danville and New River Railroad line that ran into town. In 1884, Taylorsville was incorporated as a town, and it was renamed Stuart in honor of Confederate Major General J. E. B. Stuart, who was born 20 miles to the west.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark