The Clifford-New Glasgow Historic District centers on the oldest existing settlement in Amherst County. With buildings dating from circa 1772, the district is important for its early role as a regional commercial center. It developed at the crossroads of the stage road between Charlottesville and Lynchburg and an east-west road running between the James River and crossing over the Blue Ridge Mountains to Lexington. The village had several taverns, retail stores, and the services of a saddler (see the Saddlery pictured above), a blacksmith, and a tobacco weigh station. It also prospered during the first half of the 20th century as a motorists’ stop along U.S. Route 29 (the old stage road) with several gas stations, convenience stores, and an auto repair garage. In the mid-20th century after the Route 29 bypass was constructed, many of the village’s businesses moved or closed. The Clifford-New Glasgow Historic District’s period of significance extends from circa 1772 to 1961, during the time when Clifford served as a commercial center for stagecoaches, then automobiles. Its buildings reflect much of that heritage, highlighted by the late 18th century Winton.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark