The two tall brick buildings, on a hill above the village of Middlebrook in Augusta County, that comprise the listed Middlebrook Grade School and High School are symbols of advances in rural public-school facilities and expressions of local pride. The Middlebrook Grade School was built in 1916 to accommodate the growing population of this prosperous Augusta County turnpike town. The building was a community project with local residents contributing money, labor, and materials. It originally held high school grades but additional growth necessitated a new Middlebrook High School building by the early 1920s. The high school was thus erected next door in 1923, and also was accomplished largely through local effort. The standardized building plans were adapted to meet the village’s desire to have space for community gatherings. Instead of the usual large multi-purpose room, the school had separate spaces for a gymnasium, auditorium, and community center. School consolidation led to the closing of both schools in 1967. The Middlebrook Grade School and High School were listed in the registers under the Public Schools of Augusta County MPD.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark