On a high bluff overlooking the Chickahominy River in Charles City County, Margots (also known as Eagle’s Nest) is a small but carefully crafted planter’s house built between 1700 and 1729. Its brickwork is distinctive for employing English bond with all glazed headers which give the walls a striped appearance. Like the Adam Thoroughgood house, Eagle’s Nest has one interior end chimney and one exterior end chimney. The latter is set off by tiled weatherings and a set-back T-shaped stack. The original roof was destroyed in the early 20th century when the house was raised to two stories. The property was acquired for a game preserve by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries in 1979. The house with a small tract was subsequently conveyed to the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (now Preservation Virginia) and was sold to private owners in 1981, whereupon it underwent a meticulous restoration.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark