Virginia State Seal Virginia Department of Historic Resources

018-0058 Edgewood and Harrison's Mill

Edgewood and Harrison's Mill
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 12/14/1982

NRHP Listing Date 02/10/1983

NRHP Reference Number 83003265

The storybook Gothic Revival house at Edgewood is an architectural contrast to the area’s noted colonial plantation houses. It was built around 1854 for Richard S. Rowland of New Jersey, who moved here to operate the mill that stands just behind the house. The mill, an 18th-century structure, was originally owned by Benjamin Harrison V of nearby Berkeley and was visited during the Revolution by British troops led by Benedict Arnold. It was largely rebuilt in the early 19th century to accommodate updated machinery. During the Peninsula campaign of 1862 Confederate cavalry leader Gen. J. E. B. Stuart found refreshment at the Rowland house. Two weeks later part of Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan’s Army of the Potomac encamped at Edgewood. A familiar landmark along historic Route 5, Edgewood has been restored to serve as an inn.

VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated: April 4, 2018