Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

020-0014 Castlewood

Castlewood
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 06/15/1976

NRHP Listing Date 11/21/1976

NPS property number 76002099

The neo-Palladian style popularized in 18th-century England is evident in the massing of Castlewood, a five-part house, conspicuously located at Chesterfield Court House. Although a unified composition, the house was erected in stages of uncertain sequence. The middle section was probably built ca. 1816 for Parke Poindexter, clerk of the court. The south wing may be part of the initial construction, but its elaborate, highly individualized woodwork dates from the 1830s, and matches that at Norwood in Powhatan County. The north wing, with its gouged-work mantel, appears to predate the rest of the house and apparently was moved from elsewhere. Castlewood has had numerous owners. From 1860 to 1872, it was used by Methodists for traveling ministers. It was converted to a bank in 1977. In 1992, it was acquired for preservation by Chesterfield County and is now used for county offices.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018