Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

035-0420-0001 Walker’s Creek Presbyterian Church (Boundary Increase)

Walker’s Creek Presbyterian Church (Boundary Increase)
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 12/07/2005

NRHP Listing Date 02/01/2006

NPS property number 05001622

The sole resource added in the Walker’s Creek Presbyterian Church boundary increase of 2006 is the Walker’s Creek Cemetery, the principal burial ground for the surrounding Big Walker Creek Valley. The cemetery originated in 1911 with the burial of Andrew Johnston Bane on what was then a meadow on his farm, donated by Bane’s wife, Nannie, for the cemetery to accompany Walker’s Creek Church. It contains a range of memorial types and styles typical of the 19th and early 20th centuries. Low rectangular monuments of gray Georgia granite predominate, most carved with sedate floral patterns and geometric borders. A few white marble monuments date to early in the cemetery’s development. The most impressive of these is that of Civil War veteran Bane, carved with high-relief acanthus leaves at the corners. Next to it, the black granite monument of Nannie Bane is distinguished by a pediment cap and Art Nouveau floral carvings. The cemetery’s decorative motifs are conventional and include lambs (for the graves of infants and children), Masonic emblems, and a caduceus, the symbol of the medical profession.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated February 7, 2019