A Goochland County landmark along historic River Road, Powell’s Tavern has served as a tavern, a stagecoach stop, and a post office. Consisting of two distinct parts, the earliest section is a traditional two story frame dwelling built around 1770 by William Powell, a Yorkshire native, who came here to manufacture bricks. His son, William, Jr., added shed wings when he acquired a license to operate an ordinary in 1808. The front section was erected in 1820 to serve Powell’s growing business. Powell’s Tavern, now a private residence, was an important stopping place being at the end of a first-day’s journey west from Richmond. The two sections were situated so that coaches could pull in between them under a covered area. Lafayette stopped at Powell’s Tavern in 1824 during his American tour. Joseph Martin wrote in his Gazetteer of Virginia (1836) that Powell’s Tavern offered “good order and excellent accommodations.”
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark