Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

037-0035 Woodlawn

Woodlawn
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 07/06/1971

NRHP Listing Date 12/16/1971

NPS property number 71000978

Elisha Leake, a Goochland miller, built this large brick dwelling in the last quarter of the 18th century after his service in the Revolutionary War. In 1806 the property was leased to John Trevillian, who, because of its convenient location on Three Chopt Road between Richmond and Charlottesville, opened a tavern here. Woodlawn was sold in 1834 to Thomas Taylor, who was later a Mexican War hero and is remembered for planting the American flag on Chapultepec Castle. The spacious old house is distinguished by its Flemish bond brickwork, stuccoed jack arches, delicate dentil cornices, and unaltered interior. Particularly interesting are the unusual two story pent closets between the chimneys, one of which contains a secret stair.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated August 7, 2018