Northampton County’s Grapeland belongs to the Eastern Shore’s important group of architecturally sophisticated Federal-style houses that includes Brownsville, Kerr Place, and Wharton Place, among others. The distinguishing features of these houses are precise Flemish-bond brickwork, refined proportions, and rich Federal detailing inside and out. Set at the head of terraces leading down to Occohannock Creek, Grapeland was erected for Edward W. Addison between 1825 and 1830. In addition to its highly refined woodwork, the interior preserves outstanding examples of original painted wood graining and marbling. Grapeland stood derelict for many years but underwent a long-term restoration in the late 1970s. A rare early-19th-century barn remains on the grounds of Grapeland. An 18th-century frame kitchen wing, formerly attached to the house and relocated elsewhere on the property in 1920, was returned to its original position in 1997.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark