Montpelier, the lifelong Orange County home of James Madison, “Father of the Constitution” and fourth president of the United States, was also home to three generations of the Madison family from 1723-1844. The mansion core was built by Madison’s father ca. 1760. With advice of his friend, Thomas Jefferson, Madison enlarged the house, adding the Tuscan portico ca. 1797. Additional changes were made ca. 1809 by James Dinsmore and John Neilson, master builders working for Jefferson. A domed garden temple was also built on the property. The house was further enlarged ca. 1900 by William duPont. Today, it remains the nucleus of an 2,700-acre estate containing farmlands, forests, formal gardens, 135 buildings, and a steeplechase course. Madison and his wife Dolley lie buried in the family cemetery on the property. The Montpelier property is owned and exhibited by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and is located in the Madison-Barbour Rural Historic District.
Montpelier was listed in the registers administratively, and does not currently have an approved nomination.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark