Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

068-0054 Waddell Memorial Presbyterian Church

Waddell Memorial Presbyterian Church
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 06/17/1975

NRHP Listing Date 08/28/1975

NPS property number 75002028

Named in honor of James Waddell, Orange County’s blind preacher, this country church is Virginia’s finest specimen of Carpenters’ Gothic architecture. A forest of spires sprouts from the nave, transepts, and vestry of the board and-batten structure. All of the details are formed from milled boards reduced by sawing to the desired shapes and nailed together. Built in 1874, the church was designed by J. B. Danforth, an amateur architect who also was chief clerk at Richmond’s Mutual Assurance Society. A tracing of Danforth’s drawings by the Richmond carpenter-architect John Gibson, who presumably worked on the building, is in the possession of the church. The design called for a steeple which was deleted from the finished work. The church is romantically sited on a hill overlooking the Rapidan River and broad stretches of countryside.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018