Virginia State Seal Virginia Department of Historic Resources

089-0010 Carlton

*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 07/17/1973

NRHP Listing Date 10/03/1973

DHR's Virginia Board of Historic Resources easement

NRHP Reference Number 73002064

This conspicuously placed dwelling is one of several large old houses crowning the heights around Falmouth and Fredericksburg. The exterior follows a standard Georgian format, employing a five-bay facade and hipped roof. Most of its original exterior and interior fabric survives, including a large built-in glass-door cupboard in the dining room. The stair rail is terminated at the newel with a vertical spiral or ram’s horn carving. Located at the edge of a steep promontory directly overlooking Falmouth, Carlton was the home of John Short, a local merchant who had the house built ca. 1785 after his marriage to Judith Ball of Lancaster County.  Adding to the historic ambience are three original outbuildings: a kitchen/laundry, dairy, and smokehouse.

VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated: March 8, 2021