Although historical records suggest that more than eighty churches and chapels were constructed in Virginia during the 17th century, only St. Luke’s Church in Isle of Wight County and the bell tower of Jamestown Church have survived from the first century of settlement. Accordingly, the archaeological remains at the Second Southwark Church in Surry County could reveal new information on the architecture and settings of Virginia’s 17th-century ecclesiastical structures. This church was the second to serve Southwark Parish, which encompassed land south of the James River between Upper Chippokes Creek and College Run. The second church was probably standing by 1673, replacing the earliest Southwark Church, constructed before 1655. Abandoned shortly after the Revolution, the building stood in ruins until the time of the Civil War. The site is marked by a monument erected in 1927.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark