The Old Courthouse in the Buena Vista Downtown Historic District is a relic of the land boom that took place in the central part of Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley in 1889-91. The boom, a direct result of the construction of the Norfolk and Western railroad, contributed to the establishment of several new towns, including Buena Vista. The land company that developed Buena Vista gave credence to its activity by building in 1890 a simple but dignified Second Empire-style headquarters complete with mansard roof and tower. Two years later, when the land boom collapsed, the company sold the building to the town for use as a courthouse and municipal offices. It served Buena Vista thusly until 1971 when a new municipal building was built. Local citizens rescued the Old Courthouse from threatened demolition and had it converted to the city’s public library.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark