For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 12/06/2000
NRHP Listing Date 02/16/2001
NRHP Reference Number 01000151
Abell-Gleason House is a handsome Greek Revival mansion built about 1859 for Alexander Pope Abel in the city of Charlottesville. The principal façade has robust brick pilasters dividing its bays, a feature once common in Charlottesville buildings. An entrance vestibule is separated from the main hall by louvered doors. The dwelling has been home to members of several prominent local families. J. E. Gleason, who owned the house from 1946 to 1974, served on the city council for 12 years and was mayor during part of World War II. While mayor, he allowed parties, weddings, funerals, and wakes in the house. On the Abell-Gleason House property is a four-room servants’ quarter built at the same time as the house. The property contributes to the Charlottesville and Albemarle County Courthouse Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: April 14, 2022