This three-story brick warehouse on the south side of Preston Avenue in downtown Charlottesville was constructed in 1909 for the King Lumber Company. The vernacular King Lumber Company Warehouse building has the stepped gables and corbeled cornice stops that were popular a century earlier. The King Lumber Company appears to have gone out of business during the Great Depression, but the building has continued to be utilized for a series of commercial enterprises since that time.
The buildings and districts listed under the Charlottesville Multiple Resource Area nomination represent a cross section of all the city’s historic periods, from the founding of Charlottesville in the 1760s through the advent of the automobile and the impact it had on the city’s expansion. Also included are buildings that have played an important part in the history of Charlottesville’s black community. The King Lumber Company Warehouse was listed in the registers under the Charlottesville MRA without a formal nomination document.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark