Important for its association with late-19th-century suburban development adjacent to Charlottesville, the North Belmont Neighborhood Historic District covers about 75 acres located in the southeastern part of the city. The Belmont Land Company and the Charlottesville Land Corporation developed the neighborhood beginning in 1891 and through the early 20th century. Most of the district’s houses and buildings date from the 1890s through the 1940s, representing the area of initial development, with the exception of some buildings dating to the mid-20th century. The southern part of the district is also composed mostly of mid- and late-20th-century resources with a few late-19th-century buildings. The North Belmont Neighborhood Historic District’s period of significance stretches from around 1820, when Belmont Mansion was constructed, to 1960, when a new bridge opened in the district and significantly altered connections between the largely residential area and the business section of the district. The North Belmont Neighborhood Historic District retains its character-defining architecture and exhibits an overall appearance of historical integrity.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark