For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 12/17/1974
NRHP Listing Date 04/03/1975
DHR's Virginia Board of Historic Resources easement
NRHP Reference Number 75002109
The Chimneys takes its name from its massive exterior chimneys; this conspicuously located Georgian town house, with is broad hipped roof and five-bay façade, is one of the Fredericksburg Historic District‘s most prominent colonial dwellings. Significant among its architectural features is the unusually elaborate woodwork in the southwest parlor, which employs carved swags and garlands on the chimneypiece and latticework friezes on the window and door frames, all rare examples of colonial architectural woodcarving. The house was built ca. 1771 for John Glassell, a Scottish merchant who returned to his native land after the outbreak of the Revolution. The Chimneys served as the headquarters of the Historic Fredericksburg Foundation during the 1970s. It has since been sold and restored for use as a restaurant.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: January 5, 2022