For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 03/18/1975
NRHP Listing Date 06/05/1975
NRHP Reference Number 75002111
George Washington bought this property in 1772 for his mother, Mary Ball Washington, so that she could be near her daughter Betty Lewis and her son Charles. She lived here until her death in 1789. It was at this house in March, 1789, that president-elect Washington stopped to receive his mother’s blessing before traveling to New York for his inauguration. It was their last farewell. The present structure, located in the Fredericksburg Historic District, consists of the building purchased by Washington and an addition he had built, as well as 19th-century additions. It was acquired by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (now Preservation Virginia) in 1890 to prevent it from being taken to the Chicago World’s Columbian Exposition. It was subsequently restored and furnished with period furniture, including several of Mary Washington’s possessions. The garden was restored in 1968 by the Garden Club of Virginia.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: January 5, 2022