The Miller-Claytor House, erected in 1791 for tavern keeper John Miller, is Lynchburg’s only remaining 18th-century town house. It originally stood at Eighth and Church streets downtown but was moved by the Lynchburg Historical Society to its present location at the entrance to Riverside Park in 1936 during Lynchburg’s sesquicentennial. Serving as a historic exhibit, the two-story frame structure is an intriguing example of urban vernacular architecture. The several exterior doors of its two-room plan suggest that part of the house may have been intended for commercial use. Rebuilt under the direction of Lynchburg architect Stanhope Johnson, the dwelling has an orientation and garden size at the new location in the Rivermont Historic District that were carefully selected to approximate its original setting. The garden was designed by Charles F. Gillette. The property is now owned by the Lynchburg Historical Foundation.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark