Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

118-0020 Joseph Nichols Tavern (Western Hotel)

Joseph Nichols Tavern (Western Hotel)
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 06/18/1974

NRHP Listing Date 07/22/1974

NPS property number 74002236

Joseph Nichols built this Federal tavern on Lynchburg’s busy Fifth Street in 1815 to replace his previous establishment, which had been destroyed by fire. Although its original facade was oriented to Madison Street, the forthright brick structure has long been a familiar landmark on Fifth Street, for many years the western entrance to the city. This location was the inspiration for a later designation, the Western Hotel, by which the building was known for over a century. A rear wing was added 1830s. One of Lynchburg’s earliest surviving commercial structures, the tavern stood derelict for many years but was sympathetically rehabilitated 1975 by the Lynchburg Restoration and Housing Corporation, a local nonprofit organization.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018