For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NRHP Reference Number 02000619
St. Paul’s Catholic Church embodies the Gothic Revival movement in its remarkable architectural design. Construction began in 1898 and continued for seven years as specialists in each building trade constructed the building designed by John Peebles. The church was built with masonry walls clad in quarry-faced granite and topped by a steel-beam roof covered by slate shingles. The exterior features beautiful Gothic double arches and buttressing as well as a large stained-glass window located on the second story above the central entrance. The bell, installed in 1901, still hangs in the bell tower. Within the church are the original carvings of the Stations of the Cross between the windows as well as the original quartered-oak pews. Alongside the church is the rectory, which serves as the residence and parish office and retains much of its historic integrity.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018