For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 09/15/1981
NRHP Listing Date 07/08/1982
NRHP Reference Number 82004582
The rugged Pulaski County Courthouse, the dominant landmark in the town of Pulaski, is one of the state’s few large public buildings echoing the Romanesque style of the noted architect H. H. Richardson. The firm of W. Chamberlin and Co. of Knoxville, Tenn., designed the building, employing stone quarried from nearby Peak Creek. In contrast to the smaller courthouses of eastern and central Virginia, the Pulaski courthouse echoes the showy structures built in county seats of midwestern states at the end of the century, serving as symbols of local pride and prosperity. Its construction grew out of a controversy concerning the location of the county seat at Newbern, Dublin, or Pulaski which was settled by the highest state court in Richmond in favor of Pulaski. Completed in 1896, the courthouse was gutted by fire in 1989 but was restored and reopened three years later.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: August 25, 2021