Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

127-0275 Maggie Walker House

Maggie Walker House
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 04/15/1975

NRHP Listing Date 05/15/1975

NHL Listing Date 05/15/1975

NPS property number 75002100

Maggie Lena Mitchell Walker (1867-1934), daughter of a former slave, rose by her work with a black fraternal order to become the first American woman to establish and head a bank. In addition to serving as president of the St. Luke Penny Savings Bank, now the Consolidated Bank and Trust Company—the oldest black-owed bank in continuous use in the country—Mrs. Walker was active in many civic and charitable causes. She was founder and president of the Richmond Council of Colored Women and employed her fund-raising talents to aid improved health care for African Americans. In 1904 she purchased a ca. 1883 Italianate town house in Jackson Ward and later enlarged it. The house is preserved and furnished exactly as she left it and has been acquired by the National Park Service for exhibition as a National Historic Site.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 1, 2019