Built for the former Central National Bank, this office tower is Virginia’s outstanding example of the Art Deco skyscraper and has long been one of Richmond’s most conspicuous buildings. It was designed by New York architect John Eberson; the local firm of Carneal, Johnston and Wright served as consultants. Ground was broken in 1929, with completion the next year. In addition to its soaring exterior, the bank has a lofty vaulted banking hall, still one of the most spectacular commercial spaces in the city. Its Art Deco ornamentation includes floors of colorfully patterned terrazzo, and ceilings with floral and geometric patterns. The Central National Bank was founded in 1911 when the Broad Street and Grace Street merchants decided to start a bank that would be convenient to their businesses. The present Central National Bank building was a project begun under the leadership of the bank’s president, William Harry Schwarzschild.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark