The region’s easily worked blue-gray limestone made an ideal building material for some of the Shenandoah Valley’s earliest houses. Among these solid structures is the dwelling erected in 1754 for Isaac Hollingsworth on property settled in 1732 by his father, Abraham Hollingsworth, and named in his honor. The stonemason was Simon Taylor, who also is credited with Springdale, the 1753 home of John Hite south of Winchester. The house employs a two-over-two floor plan with center passage, a plan favored by the area’s Scotch-Irish settlers. A two-story wing was added ca. 1800, and the original woodwork was replaced with Greek Revival trim in the mid-19th century. Acquired by the city of Winchester in 1943, the house is exhibited as a museum of early life by the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia