Carter Hydraulic Rams were installed circa 1924 by industrialist George L. Carter to supply water for his summer residence and other buildings in Hillsville, the Carroll County seat of government. The system consisted of four concrete ram housings located on a spring branch below the town of Hillsville. The rams used a pair of valves to feed water into the bottom of a compression chamber, and the valves used the power available from the flowing stream to propel water uphill to storage tanks. The Carter Rams were replaced by electric-powered pumps in the 1950s.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark