The starkness and exaggerated verticality of St. Thomas’s Chapel lend this village church visual presence. The rural Gothic Revival style is given full play here in the three arches of the façade and the tall pointed windows with their Y tracery. St. Thomas’s Chapel was built ca. 1835 to serve the Episcopal congregation of Middletown and was completed by 1837 when Bishop Meade officiated at a confirmation here. Episcopalians, both urban and rural, traditionally have been attentive to the architectural quality of their churches, hence it is not surprising that St. Thomas’s is an effective though provincial interpretation of the Gothic style. The church was used as a Confederate hospital during the Civil War, and Northern troops used it as a stable. The building was closed in 1930, and in 1966 it was given over to the Frederick County town of Middletown. St. Thomas’s Chapel has since been restored for use as an interdenominational chapel.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia