Built of stone taken from a nearby quarry, this ca. 1760 elongated Georgian mansion was the home of John Ballendine, who established a foundry and milling operation immediately down the hill in the Prince William County village of Occoquan. Ballendine situated his house on a ledge to overlook the falls of the Occoquan River as well as his enterprises. Although undocumented, the house is said to have been designed by William Buckland. Later owners of Rockledge include Ballendine’s business partner, James Semple, and Nathaniel Ellicott, member of one of the nation’s foremost Quaker milling families. Ellicott was also the founder of the Maryland milling town Ellicott City. Rockledge stood abandoned for many years but was restored in the 1970s. Subsequently burned by arsonists, the house was then re-restored, resuming its place as the community’s principal historic landmark.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia