This expression of Classical Revivalism is the successor to the original church of St. Thomas’ Parish, demolished after the disestablishment. Erected 1833-34, St. Thomas’ Church originally lacked its Tuscan portico in antis. This feature was probably added in 1853 when the church was remodeled and enlarged. The alteration of the windows into pointed Gothic windows was made between 1890 and 1895. The builders of the church have not been documented, but they may have been William B. Phillips and Malcolm B. Crawford, who worked for Jefferson at the University of Virginia and later built finely crafted Classical Revival works in the central Piedmont. During the Civil War, St. Thomas’ Church served as a Confederate hospital after the battles of Cedar Mountain, Chancellorsville, the Wilderness, and Spotsylvania Court House. The St. Thomas’ Episcopal Church is located in the Orange Commercial Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark