Rebel Hall was built about 1848 for Dr. James H. Minor, a prominent surgeon and farmer in the Town of Orange. The two-story brick house is one of a handful of antebellum dwellings surviving in the town and the only one executed in the Greek Revival style. Especially noted for its interior woodwork, which is exceptionally well-crafted and preserved, Rebel Hall is one of the best expressions of the Greek Revival in all of Orange County. Located on a spacious tree-shaded lot at the edge of Orange’s downtown commercial area, Rebel Hall has maintained its architectural integrity due to the care and maintenance of several prominent families that have owned the property over the last 150 years. During the Civil War, the Bull family extended hospitality to Confederate soldiers and generals alike, thereby earning the house a new name for which it has been known ever since.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark